CD Hood's Building News

A short description about your blog
Jun 08

Living with parents if UK property prices continue to rise

Posted by CarlHood in Commercial builders Cambridge , CD Hood Builders Cambridge , CD Hood Builders , Cambridge construction companies , Cambridge commercial builders

Commercial Cambridgeshire builders CD Hood Ltd have seen for themselves that more and more adults are living with their parents.  According to recent analysis form Aviva Insurance the number of young people aged 25 to 34 living with their parents in the UK could be set to grow if property prices keep rising.

The findings are supported by a separate study carried out by Aviva, examining the attitudes of 500 people aged 16 to 34 who live with their parents which found that respondents expected to be 28 years of age on average before they moved out. It also found that although one in 12, or 8%, said didn’t ever expect to leave their current home.

Some 47% of those living with parents said they were ‘very happy’; while just 16% said they were unhappy with their circumstances. However the number of discontented increases with age. For adults aged 30 to 34 still living with parents, the number of ‘very happy’ falls to 31%, while ‘unhappy’ rises to 28%. ‘If house prices continue to rise at their current rate, we can expect the proportion of adult children living with parents to grow even further,’ said Lindsey Rix, managing director for personal lines at Aviva UK General Insurance.
If you need to find ways of expanding the capacity or your Cambridgeshire home experienced builders CD Hood Ltd might be able to help you come up with some solutions.

Jun 08

The right to light?

Posted by CarlHood in Cd Hood , Cambridge commercial builders , Burwell house refurbishment , Building land Cambridge

Commercial builders CD Hood Ltd have lots of experience e of extending, renovating and developing properties in and around Cambridgeshire. If you are extending a property close to a neighbour, and are worried that what you want to build might significantly reduce the light that reaches their plot of land and or passes through their windows, you may be infringing their right to light. 

If what you want to build does indeed infringe there right to light it could give them the right to seek an injunction to have your proposed development reduced in size or in some cases people seek a take a payment to compensate for the reduction of light. Indeed if the loss of light is small and can be adequately compensated for financially, the court may award compensation instead of an injunction.

But it is much better to make sure that you have taken into consideration your neighbour’s right to light in the planning process.  In England and Wales, a right to light is usually acquired by what is called prescription meaning the light has to have been enjoyed for an uninterrupted period of 20 years through the windows of the building. But once acquired, the right to light extends only to a certain amount of light such as is suitable for the continuous use and enjoyment of the building, and is not a right to all the light that was once enjoyed.

So this means that the right to light can be reduced by development so you shouldn’t  assume that any reduction in light to your neighbour’s property gives grounds for them to prevent your development it’s just important to calculate that if there will be any loss of light, if so, how much.

May 26

Making sure gas appliances are safe

Posted by CarlHood in CRB checked builders , CD Hood Ltd , CD Hood Builders Cambridge , CD Hood Builders

Commercial Cambridgeshire builders CD Hood Ltd never cut corners when it comes to gas safety.  It is vital that any renovation, new build or extension has any of its gas appliances thoroughly and professionally checked. It is shocking that across the UK some property investors are potentially putting their property investments at risk of major gas incidents, such as a carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions by employing illegal gas engineers who are not properly qualified, new research shows.

The Gas Safe Register, the UKs only official legal gas registration scheme, found that 19% of people, who employed a tradesperson to work on a gas appliance did not check their ID card or qualifications. They also found that  a worrying 65% of gas jobs carried out by illegal fitters were unsafe and one in five gas appliances were so dangerous that they had to be disconnected immediately! The study found that people are most likely to employ a tradesperson based on recommendations from friends or family members (53%), and trust them based on their personal presentation (41%) or how official they look (30%), rather than on their qualifications (11%).

Matt Allwright, best known for presenting shows such as Watchdog and Rogue Traders said: “Gas Safe Register’s data demonstrates that too many people are letting illegal gas fitters into their home and putting their families at risk. It is vital that people don’t just trust a friendly face but make sure fitters are Gas Safe registered and qualified to work in their property, as the consequences of an unsafe gas appliance can be fatal.”

May 26

Party wall agreements are essential

Posted by CarlHood in party wall agreements , CD Hood Ltd , CD Hood Builders Cambridge , CD Hood Builders , Cambridge commercial builders

Commercial Cambridgeshire builders CD Hood Ltd know that sometimes when you are planning building work the legalities surrounding party walls can seem a bit confusing? So how would the rules of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 affect any or your extension or renovation plans?

If you’re planning building work near an adjoining property in England or Wales, you must observe the Party Wall etc. Act 1996.  The Act covers shared walls between semi-detached and terraced houses, or structures such as the floors between flats or maisonettes, as well as garden boundary walls. In addition to alterations affecting the structures directly, the effect of any excavations within 3-6 metres of the boundary can be covered by the Act if the foundations are considered to be likely to have an impact (based on depth).

When you are having some renovation or extension work done to your home the most commonly applied party wall rights apply to the following: Permission to cut into a wall in order to take the bearing of a beam (loft conversion), or to insert a damp proof course or flashings. To raise the height of the wall and/or increase the thickness of the party wall. To demolish and rebuild the party wall. To underpin the entire thickness of the party wall.
If building work affects a party structure, you must serve notice at least two months before work begins. In the case of excavations, you must give at least one month’s notice. Work can begin once an agreement has been entered into. You need to write to all adjoining homeowners, stating your name and address, a full description of the work, including the property address and start date, plus a statement that it is a Party Wall Notice under the provisions of the Act.

May 09

Garage conversion essentials

Posted by CarlHood in CD Hood Ltd , CD Hood Builders Cambridge , CD Hood Builders , Cambridge home builders , Cambridge construction companies , Cambridge commercial builders

In the majority of cases Where CD Hood Ltd commercial Cambridgeshire builders have been involved in converting a garage into a more useful bit of you home it has been classed as permitted development. If however you live in a Conservation Area, a location where development can be restricted to protect the appearance of the surroundings, or on a new estate with strict guidelines, you should then check out what’s allowed.

The key conversion essentials will then be to: replacing the garage door – it will have to be replaced with a new wall and/or window. This may mean new foundations, then the garage roof will almost certainly need to be upgraded to ensure it is water-tight and possibly raised pitch to have space for roof lights. New windows won’t usually need planning permission but will need to be energy-efficient and double-glazed to be approved by building control. They may also need to be able to be opened right up, too, to comply with fire safety regulations. Match the style to the house’s existing windows to help the conversion fit in.

Shower rooms and kitchens of course will need to meet building regulation requirements with extractor fans, but you might also like to include an extractor if you’re planning on using the room as a home gym. Building regulations also require walls, windows, the floor and roof to be insulated to a certain level. This might mean dry-lining the walls, using polystyrene floor insulation and fitting sealed double-glazed windows.

External garage walls will usually be single course brickwork, which won’t meet building regulations for moisture and insulation. This can be solved by adding an interior, insulated stud wall built off a damp-proof course on a couple of courses of bricks. For the electrics and plumbing: This work must be signed off by the building control department of your local council.


CD Hood helping you to build your future



Useful Links


health_and_safetyHealth & Safety

CD Hood Health and Safety