CD Hood's Building News

Jul 03

Party Wall notices?

Posted by: CarlHood

A party wall notice is the start of many of Commercial Cambridgeshire builders CD Hood Ltd’s extension or development projects. If your extension or renovation involves a wall that is shared by a neighbour it is important to have served a party wall notice. Before serving notice though it makes sense to chat to your neighbours and make them aware of your plans so they understand what it is you are planning to do.

In more of an urban environment, your project might affect several adjoining neighbours, and you will have to serve party wall notice on each of them. If a property is leasehold you will need to serve notice on both the tenant and the building’s owner. After you have talked the idea through with your neighbours you will need to serve notice by writing to them and including your contact details and full details of the works to be carried out, access requirements and the proposed date of commencement.

Your neighbour then has 14 days to respond and give their consent, or require a party wall settlement. If they agree to the works in writing, you will not require a party wall agreement and this can save on the fees.  That is why it really can pay to contact your neighbours first to discuss your proposals and overcome any issues in advance, or at the very least ensure they receive the notice and respond within 14 days. If they fail to respond, they are deemed to be in dispute and you will need to instruct a surveyor, whether they consent to the works or not. CD Hood Ltd like to make sure all permissions are in place before any building work commences.




CD Hood helping you to build your future



Useful Links


health_and_safetyHealth & Safety

CD Hood Health and Safety